Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Spanish Barley Salad

I love using barley, I find it so much more filling and healthy then rice. I also love Spanish flavors, especially this time of year when the weather is getting warmer. This meal is quick and easy!

Ingredients:

2 cups of uncooked barley
1 can of black beans (drained)
1 can of corn kernels (drained)
1 red pepper diced
1 cup of diced cucumber
1 cup of cherry tomatoes cut in half
1 small white onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
half a package of taco seasoning (I cheated because we didn't have any cumin but instead you could do 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp of chili powder, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp of paprika)
2 tbsp olive oil (or any veg oil)
2 tbsp of lime juice
a few dashes of pepper
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro

(for hot! add a diced jalapeno pepper)

Directions:

cook the barely as per the directions you have ( I make mine in my rice cooker but it takes like double the water then doing it in a pot). Mix all other ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well then add the barley (it can be warm still, it doesn't affect the salad) and mix well again. Let sit of about 15 min to let the flavors really blend. Serve and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious,I'll try it and thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah - just wanting to let you know that you won my draw for the Froud Oracle cards!

    Please email me your mailing address at: RueAndHyssop (at) gmail (dot) com. I'll get them out to you right away!

    ReplyDelete