Friday, January 28, 2011

Rabbit Stew


Ok so this one is a first for me. But my hubby loves rabbit so I figured I would give it a try.



this is the base sauteing away
Ingredients:



1 tbsp olive oil

1 tbsp all purpose flour

2 rabbit loins

2 medium onions

3 medium carrots

4 cloves of garlic

1 tsp of pepper

1 tbsp salt

2 small turnips

2 pints of mushrooms- I used button because they were on sale this week but I think it would be better with a mix of different ones

3 large potatoes

fresh sage

fresh rosemary sprigs

1 box of chicken stock



Directions:

cut rabbit loin into bite sized pieces and place in bowl. pour salt on the rabbit and let sit for 30 min at room temperature. chop onions, garlic and carrots. sautee onions, garlic and carrots with the oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. once onions are softened and translucent add mushrooms. sautee until mushrooms are softened. braise rabbit in a skillet (I prefer cast iron), sprinkle with flour then add rabbit to pot, de-glaze the skillet with a bit of red wine, add to pot. add stock, herbs and pepper to pot. chop turnip and potatoes and add to pot. turn heat on high and bring to a boil. once boiling lower heat and simmer for 2-3 hours or until potatoes and turnips are softened and rabbit is tender.

1 comment:

  1. I DON'T THINK I COULD EAT RABBIT..ALTHOUGH MANY DO!! I'M SURE ANOTHER MEAT WOULD SUBSTITUTE WELL..WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST?

    ReplyDelete